Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Empty Arms -- again

Every October this comes to mind, because the date was October 10, 1983.

Thirty years later, October 10, 2013, my husband was being hospitalized from pnuemonia, and went into respiratory distress.
He did not die that day.
But he did die.

And, again, mid October finds me with Empty Arms.

Empty Arms

Empty arms, empty arms                                         Months of waiting
Years of plans
And at the end:
Empty arms                                                                          

All alone, all alone
Always all alone
No one cares                                                    
No one shares
All alone

Little one, little one
Where have you gone?
A gift to me
A life to be
All gone

No one knows, no one knows
What you could have been
Should have been.
And I am all alone
With Empty arms.

All my dreams, all my dreams
All gone
Passed on
Leaving me alone
With empty arms



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem, Ruth. All except the line "No one cares." That is NOT true. Especially as someone who has lost 5 babies - that is not true. And, maybe, they were not such a part of me as Heather was to you, and they were not such a loss to me (and Ron), we did name each and every one of them, and we felt their loss, and dammit, I care how much it hurts. I may not share, because I don't know HOW without it hurting (both of us) and don't wish to inflict such pain, but I do care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 things, Rita.

    1) when you are in the moment, it feels like no one cares, even though you know better

    2) no one cares AS YOU DO. They just can't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would never downplay your losses and never have. Your arms are just as empty, just as aching.

    It's funny (odd) how people are. How dense they can be. Miscarriage: It wasn't even human yet. (Not to you, maybe.) Better now than later. (Yeah, and you should have died younger, too.)
    For preemies and stillborn and dead in utero: It would have had a lot of problems anyway. (Hope so. was planning to raise a human) At least it wasn't older. You haven't lost as much as if you had raised it for years. (sorry, I love my child with/by heart, not calendar.)
    Interestingly enough, it is NEVER a parent who has lost a child say something this ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. tears for your words i have just read. beautiful. poignant. heart-wrenching. peace and comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete