Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Wrong again! Hooray!

The winter storm descended to just winter weather. The drop in temperature didn't happen until after the snow, and the winds weren't quite as bad as expected. So, we did NOT have rain wrapped power lines freeze solid and then be whipped by winds. I haven't been so happy to be wrong in a long time.

They still have so much trouble predicting the snow/sleet things. Overall they did a pretty good job this time. I'm just very glad that no one lost power.

It wasn't very many years ago we had what I call "the Crystal Christmas". A rain turned cold unexpectedly, and power lines and tree branches froze. It was beautiful, but dangerous. Power lines snapped, crackled, popped.
A friend had the power box torn off her house. I couldn't get to work because there were trees broken and toppled into each of the three roads I could drive.
My nephew's newborn premie, finally home, in a house with no power.

Branches preserved in ice like flies in amber. Perfectly clear crystals that scattered rainbow light when the sun hit them. Beautiful, beautiful danger.

So, I try to keep everyone prepared and aware. I hope I never become a panic-monger. I have good reason for my concerns, I hope.

But I am happy for everyone here that my caution was unnecessary. I hope it helped those who are further out.

In the meantime, I hope everyone is staying warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment