Wednesday, March 9, 2011

computer troubles

 I got my old desk out of storage. My desk is a lovely corner desk, with lots of nooks and slots and shelves and doors and I was sooo happy to finally have it back.

I shut down my computer -- it was working well -- and, once it had shut off, I unplugged it and then unplugged the stuff off of it. My monitor, mouse, printer/scanner, speakers. I very gently moved the thing into the other room so it would not be tipped, bumped, knocked or dropped in any way by the rearranging of the desks -- out with the little, in with the good big one.

Once the moving was done, I hooked everything back up and plugged everything in, turned on the computer, and it came on and informed me that Windows had shut down improperly and for me to select a choice: two safemode options, a return to last good date and start windows normally. No matter what I selected -- and I tried them all -- it keeps going back to this screen.
Someone came and looked at it for me. The drivers are missing. I dunno where they went or how. I do know there was no improper shut down. I do know it wasn't jolted in any way. No one seems to want to believe that, but it is so. I know. I treated that tower as if it were more fragile than a hewborn baby. (Not that they are fragile -- they aren't -- but we're programmed to treat them that way)I suppose it copuld have got a virus or a worm or something, but I don't know how it snuck in if so. I have -- had -- MacAfee, Norton, and AVG.


There is some communication glitch with my repair team, and I am seriously considering just trying to get a new (to me)one. However, with just this one exception, it will cost money that I do not have.

I had all my writing on that computer, very little of it backed up. The bifg things, yeah, but as you all know, most of my writing is small stuff. Forty plus years of creation blinked away. If any of you have copied anything, please let me know, and be patient if I can't respond right away. The local library has only one computer for the public, and I can't wait for hours at a time. Not with Rex as he is.

Bear with me, please. I don't know what to do or how to do it or why it happened (not that that matters, except I'd like to know so I won't do it again). All I know is I have been stranded in solitary solitary.

No comments:

Post a Comment